08.16.09

Mélange


Sunday,
August 16, 2009
LET'S TALK ABOUT ME, Puzzle by Randolph Ross, edited by Will Shortz
A solver is entitled to dislike a crossword puzzle and this one is deserving of cross words, as in “make me” like it, for instance. No way -- ten clues that include the word “me” pose as an interrelated entry/clue mélange of this Sunday-should-be-pleasant-but-this-Sunday-it-is-not crossword. “Pardon me” clues 23A. ERROR MESSAGE; “Save me” 29A. MASS APPEAL; “Feed me” 38A. COUNTER PLEA; “For me?”, RECEIVING LINE; “Shoot me”, 75A. FILM DIRECTION; “Lean on me”, 92A. TENDER OFFER; the aforementioned “Make me” for 101A. CROSS WORDS; “Kiss me” for 107A. PECKING ORDER; “It’s on me”, 16D. FREE RESPONSE; “Write me”, BOOK PROPOSAL. Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me… So what?
The remainder of the crossword has even less to offer and it’s clues are every bit as vapidly draped in drear resulting in a weary waste of precious time of one of the last weekends of summer. Do yourself a favor -- do something else with the time -- so be it, off with cross words!
-----------------
For the complete post, go HERE.