06.21.09

Last Words

Edvard Munch. The Death Bed. 1895
Sunday,
June 21, 2009
FAMOUS LAST WORDS, Puzzle by Matt Ginsberg and Pete Muller, edited by Will Shortz
“Curtain! Fast music! Light! Ready for the last finale! Great! The show looks good, the show looks good!” ~~ Florenz Ziegfeld, showman, d. July 22, 1932
The last words of twelve individuals comprise the interrelated entries of this Sunday crossword puzzle:
OSCAR WILDE (1A & 13A “My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go”); GROUCHO MARX (27A. “Die, my dear? Why that’s the last thing I’ll do!”); LOU COSTELLO (32A. “That was the best ice cream soda I ever tasted”); SALVADOR DALI (53A. “Where is my clock?); CONRAD HILTON (71A. “Leave the shower curtain on the inside of the tub”); DYLAN THOMAS (87A. “I’ve had 18 straight whiskies. I think that’s the record”); PANCHO VILLA (94A. “Don’t let it end like this. Tell them I said something”); ERROL FLYNN (110A & 113A. “”I’ve had a hell of a lot of fun and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it”); MARCO POLO (20D. “I have not told half of what I saw”); CALIGULA (46D. “I live!”); EVA PERON (48D. “Eva is leaving”); BO DIDDLEY (68D. “I‘m going to heaven!”).
For more of the same, go
HERE.
“Good Night.”
------------------
For today’s cartoon, go to
The Crossword Puzzle Illustrated.
For the complete post, go HERE.