05.18.08

Wizard

Sunday, May 18, 2008
Puzzle by Brendan Emmett Quigley, edited by Will Shortz
With this puzzle's title
PINBALL WIZARD as a clue, the inter-related entries of this Sunday crossword are TILTATWINDMILLS (22A. Fight imaginary foes); FLIPPERANDERSON (115A. Former L.A. Ram who holds the N.F.L. record for most receiving yards in a game [336]); BONUSQUESTION (5D. Test extras); ROLLOVERBEETHOVEN (15D. Opening track of “The Beatles’ Second Album”); SPECIALRELATIVITY (30D. Einstein subject); RAMPUPSALES (33D. Push for more business orders); BUMPERCROPS (46D. Good farming results); DRAINBOARDS (39D. Sloping surfaces next to sinks); and JACKPOTJUSTICE (53D. Awarding of huge settlements to plaintiffs, in modern lingo). This is a colorful puzzle conjured up by a real wizard!
Where I dropped the ball:
ADRIEN, I spelled ADRIAN; ANASAZI, I‘m just not up on my ancient pueblo dwellers; AZAN, so now I know; CAVER, an explorer of sorts -- of caves, I knew spelunker; DONHO, I kept insisting on Dan Ho, never saw him in anything, you see; INI, I wanted ONI; LACIE, who knows Alice’s sister’s names, and why?; NUL, I wanted CUL; SALAZAR, I’ve never paid any attention to marathons of any kind; SALTEN, now I know who wrote “Bambi“; SBARRO, there’s one of these Italian chain restaurants in Times Square, never went there, and couldn’t recall it, and why should I?; SIAN, never saw “I, Claudius”, but I did see “Rome”; ZOWIE, I had WOWIE!
My flippers worked perfectly well on such other useless trivia as ABRAM, ANION, ANTBEAR, ARIEL, ASTA, BNAI,
CREST, DIAN, DIPSY, EELPOT, EMILY, INRI, IRONON, JARRE, JIVES, NANCE, NOMAD, OLIO, PCLAB, QUA, RUSSO, SFO, TENOR, TROVE, VICEROY, VOLTA.
Extra points, bonus and jackpot, et cetera for the long stuff -- ARRAYED, ASTOOP, CHECKSINTO, DESCEND, DESERTS, ENCLASP,
ERNIEFORD, GOAROUND, INSISTENCE, INUNISON, PRICELIST, and REDROSE.
Oh, and I did the multiplication of VII octupled to LVI with the Arabic 7 x 8 -- is that cheating? Or should I know how to multiply using the Roman numerals -- who makes the rules here!
Tilt!
-----------------
For today’s cartoon, go to
The Crossword Puzzle Illustrated.