02.17.09

BROKENHEARTED

February 17, 2009

Puzzle by Kristian House, edited by Will Shortz

Gee! I had no idea! I hope I wasn’t too flip about it all…let me check -- Valentine’s Day crossword puzzle NY Times 02/14/09 -- no, not really. Other than saying there was nothing very romantic about it, which was the truth. Perhaps no heart is safer than a broken heart! Better late than never, today’s crossword gives us BROKENHEARTED (53A. Sad, like 20-, 28- and 46-Across?), along with RICHEARTHTONE (20A. Umber or chocolate brown); THEARTOFWAR (28A. Military treatise by Sun Tzu); NOWHEARTHIS (46A. Captain’s “Listen up!”) -- yup, those are today’s melancholy late-Valentine’s Day interrelated entries -- like half-eaten chocolates or wilted flowers!

REDHOTS (5D. Candy that makes your mouth burn) might as well lead off the remaining links -- REVAMPED; AMVET; AVATAR; CHURN; EVITA; MAGOO; MAKER; REEDY; TORME.

I hold it true, whate'er befall; / I feel it, when I sorrow most; / 'Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all. -- from Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850

------------------

For today’s cartoons, go to The Crossword Puzzle Illustrated.

For the complete post, go HERE.